Friday, June 5, 2015

Musings: Launched

While I've (mostly) loved musings on Kauai Eclectic, and hearing your views, my life and creative interests have changed significantly since I started this blog in September 2007.

So I've launched a new website, Journalist Joan Conrow, where I'll be writing on a wider range of topics and covering a much bigger geographical area.

I'll still be writing about Kauai and the Islands here on Kauai Eclectic, and I've created a link to this blog from my new website, which allows you to access KE either here or from the home page there.

Please bear with me as I learn the Wordpress ropes on my new site and continue to tweak its appearance a bit. The website designer is off on a European vacation, so I'm flailing about a bit on my own.

And please check in frequently as I head out to Seoul, Korea today to attend the World Conference of Science Journalists. 

As part of that event, I'll be moderating an online debate for the London-based news organization SciDev.Net on why farmers in developing nations are facing obstacles in accessing and adopting agricultural technology. The two-hour debate will begin at 1 p.m. British Summer Time on June 9, which is midnight June 8 Hawaii time.

I'll also be participating in a panel discussion at the conference on the role that journalists can play in helping farmers access technology. It will be live Tweeted at #Tech4Ag and followed on the Cornell Alliance for Science website and Facebook page.  That discussion begins at 11:30 a.m. June 10 in Korea, which is 4:30 p.m. June 9 in Hawaii.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, and I hope you'll enjoy the new site. And if you're able, please help to support my work and my voice by donating through the PayPal button.

Mahalo and a hui hou, dear readers!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ms Joan. You work is important and influential.
Not since, Georgia Mossmann's "Police Blotter" and Jean Holmes tenure as editor at GI has a writer reached your penetration.
Whether the we agree or disagree with your point of view, Joan, you keep the island informed.
You way with words is superlative.
Look out for the internet speeds in South Korea.....it may make the Hawaii internet feel like a slow poke.

Joan Conrow said...

And thank you, Anonymous 7:58. Your words warm my heart.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Joan on finding a paying gig to do what you love. We are lucky to have someone of your caliber representing fact based science and pointing out the good that Syngenta, Monsanto and GE technology in general are doing in this world!

Joan Conrow said...

Thanks!

My primary interest is in finding ways to help farmers, especially in these challenging times.

Part of what I hope to do is help people understand that GE technology is more than Syngenta and Monsanto, and ag technology isn't only biotech.

Anonymous said...

The trolls will say you have been working for them all this time, and that your attacks on hooser and the red shirts has for the past year all been funded by the biotech companies. Probably bee good to set the record straight.

Andrew Cooper said...

Will subscribe to the new site as long as you have the RSS feed set up properly. Looking forward to what you write.

Enjoy Wordpress, I switched DarkerView over to WP back in 2012 and never looked back. If you have any questions I have learned a few things about it.

Joan Conrow said...

Well, that's the thing about trolls. They say all kinds of crap.

Not sure who the "them" is you're referencing, but I've got a contract with Cornell, and the gig just started.

My criticism of Hooser and the red shirts was and will continue to be based on their misinformed, harmful and self-serving actions.

It isn't all about money, you know.

Joan Conrow said...

Thanks, Andrew. And please let me know if the RSS feed isn't up to snuff.

Unknown said...

awww shucks we gonna miss you

Anonymous said...

That's at least the 4th large fire on Koke'e since the Green Energy wood burning power plant was proposed to be built.

This is suspicious and possibly has ties to corrupt DLNR officers or friends that are arsonists to create fuel for the forest burning power plant.

Those Germans are getting revenge for WWII.

Dawson said...

Congratulations on your new website, Joan. It looks great! Kudos as always for your excellent writing and your caring for Kauai.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean your not going to continue your Abuse Chronicles to include all of the carports converted into illegal living space?

Anonymous said...

A job promoting the chemical companies, who saw that coming

Joan Conrow said...

You're knee-jerk ignorance is showing 6:11. A lot of agricultural technology doesn't involve biotech -- think irrigation systems, mechanical harvesters -- and not all biotech involves the chem companies, like the public sector work on wheat rust. Keep reading and open your mind. Even you might learn something. But then again, maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Joan,

Have fun on your new journey. You are as professional as they come with none better. I have enjoyed your style of writing and have actually learned from it. Fact based writing will always be superior.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your launch! I didn't know anything about modern ag despite having grown up with farming relatives. When all the anti-gmo crap broke on our island, I reconnected with them and learned so much. Thank you for a realist voice about modern ag.